The activity was implemented in February 2019, at the headquarters of the Faculty of Arts and Design within the West University of Timisoara by two Researchers and trainers: Daniel Apostu (the Faculty of Arts and Design, Visual Arts Department) and Loredana Trancă (the Faculty of Sociology and Psychology, Social Work Department).
The purpose of this activity was to prepare the future trainers in order to enable them to organize the common spaces workshops with the young Roma in the penitentiary system.
A total of 8 training sessions were organized between 7-18 February, each session with a duration of 3 hours, and were attended by 17 students enrolled in the project (5 students from the Faculty of Arts and Design and 12 students from the Faculty of Sociology and Psychology).
The topics covered during the training were:
1. Presentation of the main concepts of the project: identity, interculturality, common spaces – February 7, 2019; trainer: Daniel Apostu;
2. Romani history, culture, barriers in the integration process – February 8, 2019; trainer: Daniel Apostu;
3. The criminal justice system and ethnic minorities – February 11, 2019; trainer: Loredana Trancă;
4. Antisocial behaviors among adolescents and young people – February 12, 2019; trainer: Loredana Trancă;
5. Approaches used in working with groups – February 13, 2019; trainer: Loredana Trancă;
6. Equal opportunities – February 14, 2019; trainer: Loredana Trancă;
7. The role of the artistic act in reconfiguring personal identity – February 15, 2019; trainer: Daniel Apostu;
8. Awareness raising activities for the community – February 18, 2019; trainer: Daniel Apostu.
As a result of these training sessions the students acquired knowledge regarding interculturality, common spaces, equal opportunities, anti-discrimination; they were made aware about the specific problems faced by Roma youth in the process of social reintegration and they also learned about various methods and techniques of working and promoting intercultural learning in youth activities.
Researcher and trainer 1, Daniel Apostu
Researcher and trainer 2, Loredana Trancă